Friday, May 15, 2009

We Aren't Who We Appear to Be

Sue got one of those realllllllllllly trashy shirts with the painted on "hot" body in a bikini. I had completely forgotten about the magical powers that they hold. At the beginning of the year I was designing dresses that mimicked the concept, only with abstracted fabric geometric shapes appliqued onto the garment. I decided that in continuation with the exploration of other means of structuralism I would explore faux textures.( After the cut outs and "faux structures" the next natural step for me are faux textures.) A complete kick in the face for structuralism, it's not as boring as a completely two-dimensional outfit (t-shirt,leggings, blah blah) because it gives the illusion of something more, and subsequently creates another dimension of contemplation within an outfit.
Trashy Body Illusion Tee, Marc Jacobs cut-off denim shorts, Limon- Tris Leg Bag ( a dash of three dimension never hurts, especially if it contributes to my goal as warrior princess)
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
These faux denim leggings remind me of Margiela's exploration of faux things, and this is why I initially bought them. They sort of go beyond the fake-texture illusion into the illusion of being skinnier than you really are. The fabric that the spandex is imitating (denim) is relatively stiff and hard to get into, so the fact that the leggings are so tight and second-skin- like creates a discomfort to the viewer- the viewer's previous assumptions about the way denim is, is momentarily put on hold.
Thrifted leggings, mesh tank top, Atalanta Weller for HOH wedges.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

1 comment:

william said...

Lovelovelove the striped shirt. And the bag is pretty cool. Limon-Tris? I googled it, became confused, and then understood. Wish I could've gotten a better look at it before I left.