Monday, February 16, 2009

The Visitors Must Be Amused

I went to Christian Joy's AVA gallery opening on Thursday night with Will, and it was a delicious display of Christian Joy's imagination. As I said in a previous post, the show was based on stories written by Christian's friends and the subsequent interpretation of such. I couldn't get full shots of the clothing because the gallery space was a bit cramped, but I captured my favorite details of each garment.
My absolute favorite piece is the cube jumpsuit because it captures a sculptural, untouchable, unapproachable type feel, with the black and geometric machine like structure.
Photobucket
The next one is my friend Aliya Naumoff's story of a girl who digs through trash cans to make her clothing. The deconstructed patchwork quality matches the story. The sewn in shoe detail has a nice twist.
Photobucket
This one has a monster/dark feel and is a bit of a horror feeling in person. The arms are leather crab claws.
Photobucket

This is a detail from the voodoo/ yeti/ chicken princess. It features hand fringed pants that seem to flow from the hem and keep to the voodoo/ mish mash/ tribal theme.
Photobucket

This one has hand embroidered states and triple collars.
Photobucket

And this one is silver alien space suit.
Photobucket